Monday, March 2, 2009

Those little cuppies!

To bake or not to bake!  I could easily cook an impromptu dinners for 30-50 people but the thought of baking truly terrifies me!  I have never baked a cake, once when I was in my teens, I 'helped' out my sis baked a chocolate cake and I remember it turned out to be quite a disaster in the kitchen.. but I always remember my mom used to bake at every opportunity she could find.. her Strawberry SwissRoll.. her cakes.. her cookies.. her Pau.. her Sardine Rolls.. her breads.. she used to be a Home Science teacher you see, and she was a woman with many kitchen talents :)  But me?? I'm only good with the tumis2 and rencah2!  But I knew I gotta faced up to my kitchen phobia, I gotta achieve at least one baking success, and hopefully one day my sons will remember me adoringly as the loving baking mom.. 

I bought the mixer thingy (damn! I cannot remember what its called!), didn't think I should invest in an expensive ones, just picked up the medium range at Giant Hypermarket.  And I let it sits under the sink for almost 4 months till I have the nerve to use it.  There were a few times in the past, I bought ingredients to bake a simple cake, but couldn't find enough confidence and the ingredients ended up passed its expiry dates.. so no more struggling with ingredients and mixes, I went to Bagus at section 13 and bought the premixed dry batter and simply added the eggs, butter, vanilla extract and some milk.  And voila! I could not believe my eyes! The batter really did pop up to be cup cakes in my oven!  I so wished my mom could see what I did, I was extremely pleased with my small success in the kitchen and guess what?  I did not burn anything too!





Icing - errmmm... the simplest one ay? Of course, I could only thought of Buttercreams. I think glazing was too complicated and could do 2-3 things at one time, especially on my first time. I've got the pipes and cones and whatever it was called, with help from Al and Zafran, we managed to put the icings in without spilling the stuffs all over the table.. I've put too much batter in the paper cups, it blowed into mini domes and i guess the only logic thing to do was to cut off the tops... mixed 3 colors and let Zafran and Zafree helped out with decorating...


my first batch; blues and pinks.. Al said the cupcakes tasted too eggy and he didn't really like it.. gotta improvise next time :)


Lego.. nyebok jer.. he became crazy with the sudden explosion of buttery aroma in the house and kept on meowing for some yummies.. 

bagi dia sket, tapi jadi naughty and messed up 2 decorated cuppies! bad cat!


My second batch a few days later.. didn't want to waste the half of cake mix and leftover icing in the fridge.  This time I separated that yucky bit in the eggs.. my sister in-law kata tu punat telor, buang supaya cake tak hanyir.. it worked!  I put some lemon and vanilla extracts and reduced the amount of batters in the cuppies.

We played a bit more with the decorating and really whipped the butter and icing sugars into smoother consistency. But i burnt the cuppies a bit cos I got too impatient and wanted to finish my work early (i've got a meeting with the Waterfall Survivors members at Damansara!) by not paying attention to the oven's temperatures.. ooppss.. but most were edible and i only had to trim the brown bits off..

so there! I baked them with love and my family loved them! now I can't wait to bake some more :P 

No comments: